Tynemouth Station

Tynemouth StationOne of the oldest stations on the Tyne and Wear network, Tynemouth Station was opened by the North Eastern Railway in 1882. It served as the terminus for the first section of the Metro network from Tynemouth to Haymarket in Newcastle City Centre, and became a through station in 1982 when the fourth section of the network to St. James was opened.

Only the central portion of this grade II listed building has been refurbished, the old ticket office and porters room currently being utilised by various businesses.

In 2007 the English Heritage recognised the need for restoration of the station and a current Regeneration Plan is awaiting approval.